Think your home is childproof? You may want to take another look. The obvious poisons are usually locked up, but some things that may look harmless can still make a child very sick.
“Lots of pills can look just like candy. The notorious offender is iron pills, which literally look like M & M’s. Kids can swallow a lot, and that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and death,” Dr. Rome says.
Baby powder can cause serious breathing trouble if a child inhales it. Some houseplants and outdoor flowers or shrubs are poisonous, so kids need to understand why they should only sniff the flowers.
Things like mouthwash, facial cleaners and perfumes are a danger because of the alcohol content. And Dr. Rome says you have to pay close attention to your kids during summer or holiday parties.
“If you have the party where your friends put their glasses with the leftover alcoholic beverages down, and your toddler goes and finishes every glass, this can lead to coma and death. And it looks like the kid just went to sleep.” Dr. Rome says.
She adds that magnets and button batteries can cause serious health problems when swallowed. And Dr. Rome says nail glue removers and primers should always be kept out of the hands of children.
By taking these extra precautions, you can help make your home a safer place for your kids to play and explore.