This no-fuss Mexican recipe is easy to make, flavorful and filling. Let your slow-cooker do the work. Plus, it’s a great source of lean protein and fiber – and a hit with the kids!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound total)
- 2 15-oz cans diced salt-free tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained
- 1 can chopped mild green chilies, drained
- 1 15-oz can no-salt added black beans, drained
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups sodium-free chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into ¼ inch strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese (about 1 tablespoon per serving)
- Lime wedges
- Place chicken in slow-cooker. Combine tomatoes, chilies, black beans, corn, onion, garlic, cumin and chicken broth in a bowl.
- Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow-cooker and shred with 2 forks. Return to slow-cooker. Adjust seasonings, adding more broth if necessary.
- Just before serving, add tortillas and cilantro to slow-cooker. Stir to blend.
- Serve in soup bowls, topping each serving with cheese and a squeeze of lime juice
Makes 6 servings – Serving size is 1.5 cups
Fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Protein: 34 g
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 5 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg
Sodium: 238 mg
Potassium: 256 mg