Try this unique twist on chicken pie using phyllo dough. With ground chicken breast, olive oil, feta cheese, scallions and egg beaters, your family will enjoy the flavor — with fewer calories and less fat.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pounds ground chicken breast
- 6 ounce feta cheese, crumbled into fine pieces (about 1 cup)
- ¾ cup egg substitute
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 pound (about 14 by 9 inches) phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook thoroughly, then drain well.
- Meanwhile, mix the feta, egg substitute, scallions, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne together in a large bowl. Stir in the drained chicken until the mixture is uniform.
- Move oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with oil. Lay one phyllo sheet on the bottom of the prepared dish and brush lightly with oil. Repeat with five more phyllo sheets, brushing with oil each time. Spread half the chicken mixture evenly into the dish. Cover with four more phyllo sheets, brushing each with oil.
- Spread the remaining chicken mixture evenly into the dish. Cover with five more phyllo sheets, brushing each with oil. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Lightly score the pie into serving squares (do not cut through more than the top three sheets of phyllo). Bake 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and serve.
Makes about 6 servings
Total fat: 21 g
Cholesterol: 76 mg
Sodium: 530 mg
Total carbohydrate: 17 g
Dietary fiber: 1 g
Protein: 23 g
Recipe from our Children’s Hospital Pediatric Nutrition Support Team