It won’t be long before the cool, crisp days of fall give way to cold, harsh winter. Now is the time to prepare your skin for weather conditions that can really do a number on it.
Dermatologist Jennifer Lucas, MD, says the weather has a direct effect on your skin. Moisture and humidity in the warm seasons preserve the protective barrier of the skin’s natural moisture.
“In the wintertime though, the air dries out and so does your skin,” causing it to become itchy and irritated, says Dr. Lucas.
5 tips for keeping your skin in good shape
- Start moisturizing now, to minimize your risk when winter sets in.
- Moisturize at least once a day, as soon as you’re done showering.
- The drier your skin, the thicker the moisturizer you should use.
- Look for products containing ceramide, an ingredient that helps replace the skin’s natural oils.
- Run the shower water warm, not hot.
The heat from hot shower, says Dr. Lucas, “basically melts the oils off your skin and washes them down the drain.”
Following these simple tips can help keep your skin healthy and soft through the winter.