Warm up with this hearty white chicken chili recipe, perfect for cool weather. The dish is lower in fat and sodium and higher in fiber than traditional chili. It also has healthier sources of protein and fat.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 15-ounce cans navy beans
2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans
4 cups frozen white corn, thawed
2 small (4-ounce) cans diced green chilies
1 15-oz can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1½ teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon white pepper
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3 ounces each), cubed
Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in skillet until transparent.
- Add chicken, and sauté until lightly browned.
- Turn chicken mixture into large pot, and add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve topped with salsa and chopped cilantro, if desired.
Per serving: Makes 8 servings (serving size is ~1.5 cups)
Saturated fat: 1g