This salad offers the fresh taste of grape tomatoes, cucumbers and dill in an olive oil, lemon and vinegar dressing. Kalamata olives give it zing and whole grain bulgur makes it satisfying.
1 ½ cups uncooked bulgur
1 seedless (or deseeded) cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
½ cup kalamata olives, halved
A few tablespoons of fresh dill
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
Juice of ½ lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; spray with a non-stick cooking spray. Add the bulgur and toast it for about 5 minutes. Remember to keep the grain moving the whole time to prevent burning.
- Add about 3 cups of water to the bulgur and cover it with a lid or some aluminum foil. Let the grain simmer for around 20 minutes or so, or until the bulgur is soft.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the chopped cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and olives. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, about 2 Tbsp of olive oil, and some salt and pepper to taste. Let the flavors marinate for a few minutes.
- If there is any excess water left in the bulgur in the skillet at this point, go ahead and drain it, then fluff it with a fork.
- Combine your bulgur with your vegetables and dressing, then garnish with fresh dill. Give it a good stir and let the flavors meld for an hour or so in the fridge. Serve cold.
Makes 8 servings, each serving 1 cup.
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrate: 23 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 3 g
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: .5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium: 90 mg
Recipe provided by Digestive Disease Health Team dietitians.