This low-fat crunchy pumpkin pie uses only a small amount of oil in the crust and skim milk in the filling to make it heart-healthy. The crust includes ground almonds and cooking oats, which gives it a crunchy texture. The pie filling is flavorful with pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 cup quick cooking oats
¼ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup ground almonds
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon water
¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin
2/3 cup evaporated skim milk
RELATED: Pumpkin vs. Pumpkin Pie Filling PLUS 8 Fall Recipes
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Mix oats, flour, almonds, sugar, and salt together in small mixing bowl.
- Blend oil and water together in measuring cup with fork or small wire whisk until emulsified.
- Add oil mixture to dry ingredients and mix well. If needed, add small amount of water to hold mixture together.
- Press into a 9-inch pie pan and bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Turn down oven to 350º F.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix to blend ingredients.
- Add pumpkin and milk and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared pie shells.
- Bake 45 minutes at 350º F or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Nutritional information (Per serving)
Yield: 9 servings
Serving Size: 1/9 of a 9-inch pie
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Sodium: 153 mg
Source: Stay Young at Heart: Cooking the Heart-Healthy Way, brought to you by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute