Make this delicious chocolate soufflé, and share it with someone you love. It’s got great chocolate flavor, plus strawberries, cinnamon and even a little Cognac. And it’s only 130 calories per serving.
1 ½ teaspoons oil-based butter spread
¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon ground toasted almonds
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon good-quality cocoa
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 tablespoon Cognac
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
12 strawberries, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease/flour 6-ounce soufflé cups with the butter spread.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of the sugar with the almonds and 1 teaspoon of the cocoa. Coat the insides and bottom of the soufflé cups, tapping the sides to make sure they are coated.
- Heat 2 tablespoons water with the remaining sugar in a nonstick small pot. Bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture becomes thick, about 3 minutes. Do not allow the syrup to color. Brush down the sugar crystals on the sides of the pot with a wet pastry brush as the syrup thickens. It will be quite hot so be careful.
- While the sugar and water are simmering, beat the egg whites until stiff in the bowl of an electric mixer. While continuing to beat, slowly and carefully pour the hot sugar syrup into the egg whites. Add the 3 tablespoons cocoa, the Cognac, and cinnamon.
- Spoon the mixture into the soufflé cups, tapping each cup to make sure there are no bubbles. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the soufflés are puffed and set. Immediately place the soufflés on dessert plates. Sift the confectioners’ sugar over the tops and decorate each plate with 3 strawberries. Serve Immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Total Fat: 2.5g
Saturated Fat: 0.5g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Source: Cleveland Clinic Healthy Heart Lifestyle Guide and Cookbook (© 2007 Broadway Books)