This low-fat alternative to french fries is definitely not low on flavor! These taters are well-seasoned with hot pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper. Bake them until they’re golden and crispy on the outside — your family won’t be able to resist them!
4 large potatoes (2 lbs.)
8 C ice water
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder ¼ tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
¼ tsp allspice
1 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Scrub potatoes and cut into long ½-inch strips.
- Place potato strips into ice water, cover, and chill for 1 hour or longer.
- Remove potatoes and dry strips thoroughly.
- Place garlic powder, onion powder, salt, white pepper, allspice and pepper flakes into a plastic bag.
- Toss potatoes in spice mixture.
- Brush potatoes with oil.
- Place potatoes in nonstick shallow baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in 475° F oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil, and continue baking uncovered for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn fries occasionally to brown on all sides.
Makes 5 servings.
Nutrition information (per 1-cup serving)
Saturated Fat: 1g
Source: “Heart Healthy Recipes,” National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute