This fruit-filled bread pudding is simple to make and a perfect dessert, whether to serve at a family dinner or to bring to a larger gathering. It’s also naturally sweet with no added sugar.
8 cups blueberries, washed
5 cups strawberries, washed, quartered
2 cups raspberries, washed
1 cup rhubarb, diced into small pieces
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons chia seeds
4 cups orange juice
9 slices whole-wheat bread, dried out and cut into bite-sized cubes (1/2″)
- In a large, bottom heavy pot, add all ingredients except for the bread.
Mix well, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the fruit and set the fruit and sauce aside (it should be between 5 and 6 cups).
- In a large bowl, add the cubed bread and 1 cup of the sauce.
- Mix well and allow the bread to absorb sauce.
- Add cooked fruit, mix well and place in an 8×8-inch pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, top each piece with 2 to 3 ounces of sauce.
• Frozen berries work well–or a combination of fresh and frozen.
• The more dense the bread the better.
Makes 16 servings.
Each piece contains:
Saturated Fat: 0g