2 pounds butternut squash
12 ounces sweet potato
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, cut into ¼-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
6 cups water
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Place cut side down on a rimmed sheet pan. Pierce sweet potato several times with a fork.
- Roast until squash and sweet potato are tender, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, garlic, and curry and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add 6 cups water, ginger and salt.
- Scoop out butternut squash and sweet potato, and add to the pot.
- Let soup come to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using a handheld or regular blender, puree the soup to desired consistency. Serve hot.