Add some veggies to your morning with these rich, tasty zucchini raisin muffins. You’ll feel perfectly satisfied pairing a muffin with a cup of coffee or tea. (This recipe is also vegan.)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey, agave or maple syrup
2 eggs or egg replacer (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water)
2 fresh medium zucchini, shredded (2 cups)
1 cup whole-wheat or barley flour
1/2 cup blue or yellow cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Put raisins, bran and boiling water into a small bowl.
3. Stir orange juice, sweetener, eggs and zucchini together in a large bowl. Add in raisin-oat bran mixture, and stir.
4. Stir flour, blue cornmeal, baking powder and cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
5. Fold dry ingredients into the liquid mixture, and stir.
6. Pour batter into nonstick muffin tins.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 12 servings (1 muffin = 1 serving)
Calories from fat 15
Total fat 1.5g
Saturated fat 0g
Trans fat 0g
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrate 28 g
Dietary fiber 3g