Here’s a custard dessert recipe that’s as heart-healthy as it is tasty. It’s a perfect way to cap off a family meal or to serve at a dinner party.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 cup sweet potato, cooked, mashed
½ cup bananas, mashed
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
2 egg yolks (or 1/3 cup egg substitute), beaten
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup raisins
½ tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
As needed: non-stick cooking spray
- In a bowl, stir together sweet potato and banana.
- Add milk, blending well.
- Add brown sugar, egg yolks and salt, mixing thoroughly.
- Spray 1-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer sweet potato mixture to casserole dish.
- Combine raisins, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over top of sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in preheated 325˚ oven for 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Makes 6 half-cup servings
Total fat: 2g
Saturated fat: 1g
*Cholesterol will be lower if using egg substitute.
Source: Keep the Beat, Heart Healthy Recipes from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (slightly modified).