Recipe: French Vanilla Cheesecake Topped With Cherries
This cheesecake is simple to make and is light and airy because of ingredients such as non-fat cottage cheese and light cream cheese. Topped with cherries, this dessert is definitely something to celebrate.
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
2 cups non-fat cottage cheese
2 cups light cream cheese
1/2 cup yogurt cheese
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened frozen cherries
1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a 10-inch spring form pan with canola oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and applesauce. Mix well. Press into the bottom of spring form pan. Set aside.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add vanilla bean and simmer until softened, about 1 minute.
- Remove bean from water and when cool enough to handle, slit bean lengthwise. Scrape out vanilla bean paste with a knife and reserve.
- In a blender container, puree cottage cheese until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine pureed cottage cheese, cream cheese and yogurt cheese and blend with electric mixer on high until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time and blend well.
- Add flour, sugar, vanilla bean paste and vanilla extract. Blend well. Pour into crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Turn off heat to oven and allow cheesecake to cool slowly in oven for 30 minutes more. Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes before refrigerating.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cherries with sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved and cherries begin to break down, about 10 minutes. Add water, if necessary, to keep from scorching.
- When cheesecake is cold, remove spring form sides and slice into 16 portions. Serve 1 tablespoon of cherries over cheesecake.
Makes 16 servings
Each serving contains:
Calories 175 calories
Protein 9g protein
Recipe courtesy of Speaking of Women’s Health