Recipe: Eggplant and Broccolini Parmesan
You don’t have to speak Italian to say “delizioso!” to this classic. It includes a surprising ingredient: broccolini. If you like more greens, add a lovely salad to complete this meal.
1 eggplant, about 1/2 pound
3 1/2 tablespoons 2 percent milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup marinara sauce, see recipe
1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/3 cups cooked angel hair pasta
2 cups cooked broccolini
1 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground coarse black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
1 teaspoon olive oil
6 1/4 cups canned diced tomatoes
3/4 cup vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons parsley, freshly chopped
- In a large sauce pan, sauté onion, garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper and red pepper flakes in olive oil until onions are soft. Add diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Add remaining ingredients except for parsley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours stirring frequently. Stir in parsley.
- Next, prepare the eggplant. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut eggplant into 8 slices, each slice 1/4-inch thick. In a small bowl, beat egg with milk.
- Dredge eggplant slices in flour, then in egg milk mixture and then in breadcrumbs.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté eggplant in olive oil over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side. Transfer cooked eggplant slices to a baking dish.
- Top with marinara sauce and sprinkle cheeses over the top. Place in oven and cook for a few minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve 2 eggplant slices with 1/3 cup cooked pasta, and 1/2 cup cooked broccolini.
Makes 4 servings per recipe.
Recipe courtesy of Speaking of Women’s Health