Contributor: E. Kano Mayer, MD
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
Up to 90 percent of the entire American population will suffer spinal pain at some point in their lives. A little preventive effort could go a long way to reducing your chances of suffering from debilitating back pain.
“Nerves, muscles and ligaments from the spine provide support to your entire body,” says E. Kano Mayer, MD, Spine Specialist at Cleveland Clinic’s Center for Spine Health. “That is why a healthy back is so important to your overall health.”
5 spine-healthy tips
1. Practice good posture by standing, walking, sitting, lifting and lying in positions where the least strain is placed on supporting muscles and ligaments.
2. Maintain a weight that is appropriate for your height and frame.
3. Take part in strength, stretch and aerobic programs to improve your fitness level, make you more resistant to injury, and speed recovery if you are injured.
4. Wear shoes that are well balanced, flexible and comfortable.
5. Stop smoking, as smokers experience more spine pain and heal more slowly.
Find 7 tips for healthy bones
To make an appointment with Dr. Mayer or any of our spine specialists, please call 440.312.6242.