Recipe: Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Burrito
The eggs, veggies and whole wheat in this burrito give you a hearty breakfast that’s low in fat and high in protein. It’s a healthy, delicious dish that will keep you feeling full longer.
16 ounces chili beans in spicy sauce, undrained
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1/4 cup salsa, preferably chipotle
3 large egg whites
2 large eggs
2 tablespoon fat-free sour cream
4 large (10 inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, combine beans, corn, and salsa.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- Beat together egg whites, eggs, and sour cream.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat with cooking spray.
- Add egg mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are set.
- Break into chunks and stir into bean mixture.
- Stack tortillas on a clean kitchen towel.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water over the top tortilla.
- Fold tortillas up in the towel; heat in microwave oven until warm, 20 to 30 seconds. (Do not overwarm, or the tortillas will be tough.)
- Place tortillas on serving plates.
- Divide egg mixture over tortillas; top with cilantro.
- Fold sides of tortillas over filling; roll up, burrito fashion
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Trans fat 0g
Total carbohydrate 47g
Dietary fiber 7g