You can’t see radon. And you can’t smell or taste it. But it may be a problem in your home, where it can make you or your family sick.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
What many people don’t realize is that radon, a naturally occurring gas that is released from the soil, is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States — second only to smoking. Radon causes more than 21,000 deaths every year.
If you haven’t had your home tested, there are test kits available at many home improvement stores or online. If you smoke or have ever smoked, it is even more important to check for radon because there is an increased risk for lung cancer.
RELATED: 17 Simple Ways to Prevent Air Pollution in Your Home
Many homes have high radon levels
The problem of radon in the home is more common than people think. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that one in fifteen houses is exposed to a high level of this gas.
Watch this video with pulmonary medicine specialist Humberto Choi, MD, as he explains more about radon gas, which binds to dust that we can, in turn, inhale.
RELATED: Lung Cancer Treatment Guide