Q: Do hypoallergenic pillow and mattress covers actually help allergies?
A: Yes. Hypoallergenic pillow and mattress covers serve as a physical barrier if you’re allergic to dust mites. Evidence shows the covers provide a measurable, significant decrease in dust mite allergen on pillows and mattresses.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
However, the hypoallergenic covers alone will probably not make much of a difference unless you take other steps to reduce your exposure to dust mite and related allergens. Covering pillows and mattresses is not effective unless you also do the following:
- Regularly wash bed linens in hot water and dry in hot heat to remove dust mite allergens.
- Take steps to reduce dust mites in carpeting, upholstery, drapes and other furniture.
- Wash stuffed animals in hot water and dry in hot heat weekly.
- Vacuum your bedroom regularly with a vacuum that has a HEPA filter.
- Take measures to reduce exposure to other things you’re allergic to.
— Allergist Sandra Hong, MD.