Greek yogurt and tofu pack protein into this picnic favorite. Turmeric gives this dish its pretty yellow color, and along with garlic and parsley, provides:
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
- Antioxidants to protect healthy cells from damage (turmeric, parsley).
- Infection fighters to protect against bacteria, viruses and fungus (garlic).
- Fire-fighters to reduce the inflammation at the root of many diseases (turmeric).
- Iron for energy (parsley).
- Clot-busters to discourage unwanted blood clots (garlic, parsley).
- Vitamin C to keep colds from worsening (parsley).
- Potassium to help muscles function and keep blood pressure stable (parsley).
1 pound extra-firm tofu
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 to 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast (available in health food stores)
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 scallions, sliced thinly
1 grated carrot
3 ribs celery, diced
5 radishes, chopped
2 tablespoons plain 0% fat Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons low-fat, vegetarian egg-free mayonnaise
- Rinse, drain and mash tofu.
- Add vegetables.
- In a separate bowl, mix Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Add to tofu and vegetables. Mix well and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before serving.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Makes 6 servings
Protein: 8.2 g
Total fat: 4.8 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Total carbohydrate: 6 g
Sugar: 2 g
Dietary fiber: 5.5 g
Sodium: 139 mg
Potassium: 369 mg