Pretty and perfect in every way — colorful, fresh, tasty and oh-so-good-for you (thanks to the fiber in the beans, lycopene in the tomatoes and all those essential vitamins and minerals in the veggies)! This dinner salad is truly a satisfying meal. Prep the night before and enjoy putting it all together just before dinnertime.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
- 1/2 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 ear of corn, kernels shaved from cob
- 1 15-ounce can (no salt) black beans, drained and rinsed
- In a small saucepan, combine the rice with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes. Fluff with fork and let cool.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, combine the tomatoes, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, oil and salt in a medium bowl.
- Divide the lettuce evenly among four bowls. Top with the carrots, bell pepper, corn, beans and rice. Spoon the vinaigrette over the top of each bowl just before serving.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings
Total fat: 9 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Protein: 12 g
Carbohydrate: 50 g
Dietary fiber: 12 g
Sugar: 8 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 200 mg
— Developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness.