Recipe: Checkerboard Baked Beans
Baked beans can make a great side dish, but this recipe, which includes low-fat kielbasa, makes for a hearty, filling dinner.
- 1 ½ cups cooked (canned okay) black eyed peas
- 1 cup cooked (canned okay) black beans
- 14 ounces low fat kielbasa
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup sodium free tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar twin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray large oven-safe casserole with vegetable oil spray.
- If you are using canned beans, drain and rinse well.
- Place measured amount of beans in the sprayed casserole dish.
- Slice kielbasa thinly and then cut slices into quarters; add to beans.
- Add chopped onion, tomato sauce, ground mustard, chili powder, brown sugar twin, brown sugar and lemon
- Mix well. Do not cover. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes, stirring once or twice during the baking
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size is about ¾ cup
Calories: 376 (8% calories from fat)
Fat: 3.1 g
Saturated fat: 0.9 g
Protein: 26 g
Carbohydrates: 61 g
Fiber: 10.5 g
Cholesterol: 24 mg
Potassium: 1003 mg
Sodium: 602 mg
Omega 3 Fatty acids: 0.2 g
Source: Recipe developed and copyrighted by Kristine M. Napier, MPH, RD, LD. Reprinted with permission from “Eat Away Diabetes: Beat Type 2 Diabetes by Winning the Blood Sugar Battle.” Kristine Napier / Paperback / Prentice Hall Press / May 2002. This cookbook is available in bookstores or online from BN.com or Amazon.com.