This quick and easy recipe can serve as either a simple side for your grilled entrée or as a vegetarian main course.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
Two 15.5-ounce cans Great Northern beans
Olive oil cooking spray
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 large plum tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup dry red wine
1 sprig fresh rosemary
4 fresh sage leaves, chopped
Freshly ground pepper
- Place the beans in a colander and rinse well under cold water. Set aside.
- Coat a nonstick pot with cooking spray. Add the onion and carrot. Sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat, until the onion wilts.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes. Continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, until the tomatoes soften.
- Stir in the red wine, rosemary and sage with the drained beans. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is reduced by a quarter and the flavors have blended.
- Discard the rosemary and season with pepper. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings
Calories: 160 (3% calories from fat)
Total fat: 0.5g
Saturated fat: 0g
Dietary fiber: 7g