This quick and easy dish is sure to be a favorite on your table. Visit your local farmer’s market for fresh-picked peas grown perfectly under the summer sun ― or frozen peas will work just fine, too.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound green peas, thawed (if frozen) or fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, until tender and caramelized, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in the crushed red pepper. Add the peas, salt, black pepper and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cook, stirring often, until the peas are heated through and tender, about 3 minutes.
- Grate in the lemon zest and serve.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings
Total fat: 7 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Protein: 5 g
Carbohydrate: 15 g
Dietary fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 5 g
Added sugar: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 75 mg
— Developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness.