Roasting beets is easy to do and it gives these veggies a great naturally sweet flavor. Here’s a step-by-step guide to preparing them. To serve, you can drizzle the beets with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoon parsley – fresh, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic – fresh, minced
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 lemon – zest
2 cups fresh sliced beets – cut into 1/8″ slices
- Wash, peel, and slice beets into 1/8″ thick slices. Yield is 2 cups sliced beets.
- In a medium size bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the beets – mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Place prepared beets in bowl with marinade and toss to coat.
- Spread beets out on a non-stick sheet pan and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 25 minutes or to desired degree of doneness.
- If beets are large, you can cut them in half or even quarters to make them more manageable to slice
- You can slice by hand with a chef’s knife, or on a box grater, or with a mandolin
Nutritional information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings
Serving size: ¼ cup
Sodium: 200 mg
Sugars: 5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Saturated Fat: .5 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 1 g
Carbohydrate: 7 g