Lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers … sounds like the start of a nice, nutritious salad. But with the right kind of lettuce and a few extra ingredients, you can go from nice to knockout!
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
In our Thai Lettuce Cups With Spicy Cashew Dressing recipe, crunchy vegetables, fresh herbs and avocado rest in the “cup” formed by Boston lettuce leaves. The dressing elevates it to the next level: Cashew butter, lime juice and Sriracha sauce combine to form a creamy dressing that will dance on your tongue with just the right amount of tang and heat. Scallions add yet another pop to the flavor symphony.
Wow your dinner guests or your family with this fun, delicious, nutrient-packed dish.
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- 5 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Sriracha hot sauce
- 12 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber, cut into 2-inch matchsticks (or grated)
- 2 carrots, cut into 2-inch matchsticks (or grated)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 of an avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the cashew butter, lime juice, water and Sriracha.
- Dividing evenly, fill each lettuce cup with cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, avocado, cilantro and mint. Spoon some dressing into each cup then sprinkle with the scallions.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings
Total fat: 9 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrate: 15 g
Dietary fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 6 g
Added sugar: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 107 mg
— Developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness.