These tasty brownies are made without any flour – so you can eat them even if you are avoiding wheat and/or gluten. The black bean is a surprising ingredient that gives this dessert texture but which doesn’t interfere with the chocolate taste.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
¼ cup canola oil
3 large eggs
½ cup sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking powder
Cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the inside of an 8”x8” baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place the drained black bean and the oil in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a bowl. Add eggs, sugar, cocoa powder, almond extract, cinnamon and baking powder. Stir until well blended. Do not overbeat.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cool before cutting. Cut into 16 squares.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Makes 16 servings.
Total fat: 5g
Saturated fat: 1g
Trans fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrate: 11g
Recipe provided by digestive disease health team dietitians