Start a healthy new holiday tradition with this sweet and creamy mousse. Garnish it with toasted nuts or chocolate and your guests will forget all about traditional pumpkin pie. (Oh, and by the way, this low-calorie dessert is packed with vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber!)
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 large, ripe banana, peeled and broken into chunks
1 cup sweet potato, cooked, skin removed
8 ounces extra firm tofu
15 ounces canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
5 teaspoons real maple syrup
- Place banana in a food processor, and process until smooth.
- Add tofu and pulse until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth. Stop to scrape down sides of bowl, and pulse again to thoroughly mix.
- Spoon mixture into individual bowls or one large bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Garnish with dark chocolate or toasted walnuts and pecans, and serve!
Chef’s note: This mousse tastes even better the next day (can prepare up to three days in advance)!
Makes 7 servings (½ cup)
Saturated fat: 0g
Recipe, courtesy of Wellness Institute Executive Chef Jim Perko, CEC, AAC, is also known as “PaPa’s Pumpkin Pie.”