This salmon dish is full of flavor, and it’s easy to make. You can have dinner ready in 15 minutes — especially if you make the spice mixture in advance. Serve with a garden salad and sliced avocados to add extra flavor, texture and healthy fats.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
½ tablespoon sea salt
½ tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
½ tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more, depending on preference for spice)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
For the Salmon
1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
16 ounces boneless, skin-on wild salmon fillets, cut into 4 evenly sized fillets
1 avocado, quartered and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small mixing bowl combine spices. Reserve half of the seasoning and place the remaining seasoning in a glass jar. Leftover spice mix can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
- Combine the seasoning mix with ½ tablespoon of oil and stir to make a paste. Brush the flesh side of each fillet with the seasoning paste to coat evenly. If you have leftover paste, then brush the skin side of each fillet for enhanced flavor. You can add a bit more oil if your paste is too thick.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, heat the remaining oil on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, place the salmon in the skillet flesh side down. You should hear a nice sizzle. Sear the fish for 2-3 minutes, without moving it. Turn the heat down to medium heat, flip the fish, and sear for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until fish is flaky and opaque (about 5 more minutes or until an internal temperature reaches 145° F).
- Remove from oven, let rest, and cool for about 5 minutes. Garnish with sliced avocado, and serve immediately with a side of greens.
Serving size : 4 ounces salmon, ¼ avocado
Saturated fat 4g