Think healthy food doesn’t taste good? Or that you don’t have time to make it? Let this easy, delicious recipe for buffalo chicken chili prove you wrong. The flavor of these ground spices combined with the buffalo sauce is out of this world, and the chili essentially cooks itself.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 pound ground chicken (organic is best)
1 can kidney beans, strained and rinsed
1 can great northern beans, strained and rinsed
3 cups tomato sauce (with no added sugar)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
1/2 cup hot buffalo sauce
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Coat the bottom of a large chili pot with extra virgin olive oil and place on the stove top over medium heat.
2. Add diced yellow onion and minced garlic to the pot and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Place the ground chicken in the pot and continue to sauté for an additional 5 minutes, sitting frequently.
4. When the meat begins to brown, add the red pepper flakes, oregano, turmeric, chili powder, salt and pepper. and mix well.
5. Add the kidney and great northern beans and pour in the vegetable broth, buffalo sauce and tomato sauce. Reduce to low heat.
7. Cover the chili, and allow to cook for the next 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Optional: Serve with sliced avocados.
Makes 8 servings.
Each one-cup serving contains:
Sugar 6g (Added sugar 0g)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Recipe provided by registered dietitian nutritionist Brigid Titgemeier, MS, RDN, LD.
Photo © BeingBrigid Functional Nutrition