This fish taco uses red snapper, but feel free to substitute any firm fish. The mango salsa goes well with chicken or pork, so keep it in mind for a quick meal when you are grilling. This is a great summer meal that is light and refreshing and won’t weigh you down!
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 pound skinless red snapper fillets, diced into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, optional
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
8 reduced-fat whole-wheat tortillas, warmed until slightly crisp
2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
For the salsa
1 large mango, chopped
1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 scallions, white parts and 2 inches of the green, chopped
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the fish in a microwave-safe dish, add fish stock or water to cover the bottom of the dish and cover with wax paper or plastic wrap, leaving a vent. Cook on high for 1 1/2 minutes, then test for doneness. If not opaque, cook for 5 seconds at a time until done. Alternatively, place the fish in a skillet, add stock or water a third of the way up the fish, cover and simmer until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate to cool, then dice the fish and place in a bowl.
- In a cup, combine the cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt (if using), garlic, orange juice and oil. Stir until combined and toss with the fish.
- Combine all ingredients for the mango salsa in a small bowl.
- Reheat the tortillas following package directions. Place 1/4 cup lettuce and a slice of tomato down the middle of each tortilla. Spoon in some of the fish and top with the salsa. Fold in half and serve immediately.
Nutritional information (per serving):
Total fat: 4 g
Protein: 31 g
Carbohydrate: 48 g
Dietary fiber: 7 g
Cholesterol: 40 mg
Sodium: 420 mg
Potassium: 940 mg
Recipe from The Cleveland Clinic Healthy Heart Lifestyle Guide and Cookbook.