This delicious fresh fruit dessert has 30% less sugar and half the calories and fat of the traditional version.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
- 2 cups finely crushed pretzels
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar, evenly divided
- 1 1/2 8-ounce packages of reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons skim (fat-free) milk
- 1 cup “lite” whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups boiling water
- One 6-ounce package strawberry gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Mix crushed pretzels, butter, applesauce and 1/4 cup sugar. Press onto bottom of 13- x 9-inch pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool.
- Beat cream cheese, milk and remaining sugar until blended. Stir in whipped topping and spread over crust. Refrigerate.
- Add boiling water to gelatin mix in a large bowl. Stir 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water. Refrigerate for about 1 1/2 hours or until thickened.
- Stir in strawberries; spoon over layer of cream cheese. Refrigerate for three hours or until firm.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Makes 20 servings
Serving size: 1 square
Protein: 2 g
Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 16 mg
Total carbohydrate: 14 g
Sugar: 10 g
Dietary fiber: 1 g
Sodium: 178 mg
Potassium: 56 mg