Eggless Tofu Salad Sandwich is high in fiber.
Fiber is the non-digestible/non-absorbable part of food. It aids in digestion and keeping you full, longer and also helps control blood sugars by slowing down that rate that glucose enters your blood stream. Soluble fiber binds around bile (made up of cholesterol) in the gut and helps remove it – therefore LOWERING cholesterol (specifically LDL cholesterol). Foods high in fiber are plant based such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts and seeds. For specific soluble fiber food sources choose – oats, brown rice, barley, dried beans, root vegetables, apples, pears, & citrus fruits.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
Eggless Tofu Salad Sandwich
Enjoy this tofu spread as is, or add a personal touch– capers, chopped onion, fresh herbs (beyond those listed here), bell pepper or olives. This recipe is dairy-free.
- 1 lb. firm low-fat tofu, well drained
- ½ cup soy mayonnaise
- 2 tsp.Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. chopped garlic
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon or ¼ tsp. dried
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped scallions
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 large carrots, grated (1 ¼ cups)
- 1 cup sprouts, such as clover or alfalfa
1) Put tofu into medium bowl. Using your hands, crumble until texture resembles mashed eggs.
2) Add mayonnaise and stir to blend. Stir in mustard, garlic, turmeric, parsley, tarragon, salt and pepper. Then stir in celery and scallions until blended.
3) On work surface, place 4 slices of bread. On each slice, layer tofu salad, carrots and sprouts. Top with remaining bread, cut sandwiches in half and serve.
Nutritional Analysis: (per serving)
- Calories: 333
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 788 mg
- Protein: 16 g
Terra’s Tips (Dieticians’ Note):
- I don’t add the sprouts or carrots as garnish to save time.
- I use dried parsley instead of fresh – it’s cheaper.
- I also add extra celery to make it crunchier.
- You can use low fat mayo or miracle whip if you don’t want to buy soy mayonnaise.