Making your own cauliflower “rice” is a snap in a food processor. Once you’ve tried it, you may never cook conventional fried rice again! Made with cauliflower and bell peppers, this recipe is loaded with vitamin C, plus nourishing protein from the egg and edamame.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 ½ pounds), cut into large florets
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
1 red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch pieces
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 cup frozen edamame, shelled and thawed
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 large egg, beaten
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Put half the cauliflower florets into a food processor.
- Pulse until chopped into very small pieces and pour into a bowl. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- In a large, high-sided skillet or wide-bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the red and yellow bell peppers, followed by the chopped cauliflower and soy sauce.
- Cook, stirring often until the vegetables are just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the edamame and scallions, and stir until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Make a 5-inch-wide well in the center of the vegetable mix and pour in the beaten egg.
- Use a silicone spatula to combine the vegetables with the egg.
- Fold in the cilantro and serve.
Makes 6 one-cup servings
Nutrition per serving
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fiber 5g
Sugar 5g (0g added sugar)