There’s something to be said for spending hours in the kitchen creating a memorable meal. And there’s a whole lot more to be said for creating a satisfying, nutritious meal in only half an hour!
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
This chickpea soup with pasta and greens gets its amazing flavors from an array of plant foods. Along with creamy, filling chickpeas, you’ll find colorful veggies like celery, carrots, kale and tomatoes. Flavors from onion, garlic, rosemary and red pepper pair deliciously with whole-wheat pasta.
Needless to say, there’s no shortage of nutrients and fiber in this dish. But what you’ll remember best are its pleasing flavors and textures, the satisfied smiles of everyone at your table and the short 30 minutes it took to make it!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup small whole-wheat soup pasta
- 15-ounce can (no salt) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, cover tightly, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in the celery, carrots and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, covered, for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Remove the lid and cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables start to caramelize. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, rosemary, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 5 cups of water and let come to a boil.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and place over high heat. Let come to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain.
- Add the chickpeas and kale to the soup and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the kale is tender. Stir in the pasta and serve.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings
Total fat: 7 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Protein: 5 g
Carbohydrate: 24 g
Dietary fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 9 g
Added sugar: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 323 mg
— Developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness.