Crave creamy but don’t do dairy? No problem! This Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese uses sweet potatoes, almond milk, tofu and rice shredded cheese to create a dish that’s sure to wow.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
12 ounces 100% whole-grain pasta
28 ounces sweet potato, peeled, diced
4 cups unsweetened almond milk
12 ounces extra-firm tofu
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pinches cayenne pepper
8 ounces rice shredded cheese alternative
- Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, remove, strain, rinse and set aside in a bowl covered with plastic wrap.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sweet potatoes with almond milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer uncovered until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Strain sweet potatoes into a bowl, reserving the almond milk. Measure almond milk and add new almond milk to equal 3 cups.
- Place sweet potatoes in blender with almond milk, tofu, salt, Dijon mustard, black pepper, nutmeg and cayenne and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato sauce, pasta and rice cheese and mix well.
- Place in a 10”x12”, two-inch deep baking pan, and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Remove and serve.
Chef’s note: To prepare a gluten-free version, just substitute any whole-grain, gluten-free pasta in place of whole-wheat pasta.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Makes 6 servings
Sodium: 570 mg
Sugar: 4 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Saturated fat: 0 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 10 g
Carbohydrate: 39 g
— Created by Jim Perko, CEC, AAC.