Crave creamy but don’t do dairy? No problem! This Creamy Vegan Mac and ‘Cheese’ created by our Wellness Executive Chef Jim Perko, CEC, ACC, uses sweet potato, almond milk, tofu and rice shredded cheese to create a dish that’s sure to please.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
12 oz 100% whole-grain pasta
28 oz sweet potato – peeled, medium dice
4 cups unsweetened almond milk
12 oz extra firm tofu
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
2 pinches cayenne pepper
8 oz rice shredded cheese alternative
- In cook pot, cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, remove, strain, rinse and set aside in bowl covered with plastic wrap.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine sweet potato with almond milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer uncovered until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Strain sweet potatoes into bowl reserving almond milk. Measure almond milk and add new almond milk to equal 3 cups.
- Place sweet potatoes in blender with almond milk tofu, salt, Dijon mustard, black pepper, nutmeg and cayenne and blend until smooth.
- In large bowl combine sweet potato sauce, pasta, rice cheese and mix well.
- Place in a 10”x12” two inch deep baking pan, and bake at 350º F for 20 minutes. Remove and serve.
Chef’s note: To prepare a gluten-free version, just substitute any whole-grain, gluten-free pasta in place of whole-wheat pasta.
Nutritional information (per serving)
Makes 6 servings. Serving size: 1¼ cup.
Sodium: 570 mg
Sugars: 4 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 10 g
Carbohydrate: 39 g
Source: Created by Jim Perko, CEC, AAC