A delicious marinade loaded with spices is sure to pack your chicken with flavor right from the start (and decrease potentially carcinogenic heterocyclic amines, or HCAs)! Top these skewers off with a creamy and nutritious herb sauce and pair with corn or a simple salad.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
For the herb sauce:
1 jalapeño, seeded
2 scallions (white and light green parts)
1 cup fresh cilantro, plus more leaves for serving
12 fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
¾ cup 0% Greek yogurt
For the chicken:
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 lime, cut into wedges
- For the herb sauce, cut the jalapeño and scallions into ½-inch pieces and put into a food processor. Add the cilantro, basil, lime juice and yogurt. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the chicken, slice the chicken lengthwise into ¼-inch thick strips. Thread each strip onto a skewer. Place the skewers in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic, paprika, cumin and salt. Pour over the chicken and toss to coat. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Grill the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Divide the herb sauce and chicken skewers among plates. Top with some extra cilantro and serve with sliced radishes and lime wedges.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings
167 calories, 6 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 22 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 3 g sugar, 0 g added sugar, 43 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium.