Looking for a weekday dinner that checks the boxes for flavor, nutrition and time? Our Spring-y Fajitas fit the bill! With chipotle-spiced chicken breast, red bell pepper, onion, shiitake mushrooms and sugar-snap peas, these hand-held beauties are bursting with nutrients, flavor and crunch. And they’re ready in about 20 minutes! Serve them with salsa, avocado, and lime wedges and your work is done.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
⅛ to ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
4 ounces shitake mushrooms (about 8 medium), caps thinly sliced; stems discarded
4 ounces sugar snap peas, cut into ¼-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 small corn tortillas, warmed
½ cup salsa
¼ cup guacamole
2 limes, cut into wedges
- In a medium bowl, stir together the chicken, 1 tablespoon of the oil, the chili powder, chipotle powder, ¼ teaspoon of the salt.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and let cook, untouched, for 3 minutes. Then stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, until cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet and heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes, or until beginning to soften. Add the bell pepper and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. If the skillet is getting too dark, add a splash of water to release the flavorful bits.
- Stir in the snap peas, black pepper, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken to reheat.
- Serve the fajita mixture with the warmed tortillas, salsa, and guacamole.
Nutritional information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings.
16 g total fat
3 g saturated fat
23 g protein
38 g carbohydrate
5 g dietary fiber
8 g sugar
0 g added sugar
53 mg cholesterol
436 mg sodium
Developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness