Looking for a weekday dinner that checks the boxes for flavor, nutrition and time? Our Spring-y Fajitas fit the bill! With chipotle-spiced chicken breast, red bell pepper, onion, shiitake mushrooms and sugar snap peas, these hand-held beauties are bursting with nutrients, flavor and crunch. And they’re ready in about 20 minutes! Serve them with salsa, avocado and lime wedges, and your work is done.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 ounces shitake mushrooms (about 8 medium), caps thinly sliced; stems discarded
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup guacamole
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- In a medium bowl, stir together chicken, 1 tablespoon of oil, chili powder, chipotle powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and let cook, untouched, for 3 minutes. Then, stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes, or until beginning to soften. Add bell pepper and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. If the skillet is getting too dark, add a splash of water to release the flavorful bits.
- Stir in snap peas, black pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken to reheat.
- Serve the fajita mixture with the warmed tortillas, salsa and guacamole.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings
Total fat: 16 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Protein: 23 g
Carbohydrate: 38 g
Dietary fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 8 g
Added sugar: 0 g
Cholesterol: 53 mg
Sodium: 436 mg
— Developed by Sara Quessenberry for Cleveland Clinic Wellness.