The combination of sweet, ripe tomatoes, tangy balsamic vinegar and the nutty savoriness of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese is a perfect complement to the peppery taste of arugula, which offers an excellent source of vitamins, A, B and C!
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
3/4 pound ripe tomatoes
8 ounces arugula
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Core the tomatoes and chop coarsely. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the arugula in a large serving bowl and top with the tomatoes and onion.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the cheese over the salad.
- Toss gently and serve right away.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings
Total fat: 13 g
Saturated fat: 4.5 g
Trans fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 220 mg
Total carbohydrate: 10 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 6 g
Protein: 7 g
— The Alzheimer’s Prevention Cookbook: 100 Recipes to Boost Brain Health (© 2012 Ten Speed Press).