Warm up with this hearty recipe that’s perfect for a cool weather day. It’s lower in fat and sodium and higher in fiber than traditional chili, with healthier sources of protein and fat.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 15-ounce cans navy beans
2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans
4 cups frozen white corn, thawed
2 4-ounce cans diced green chilies
1 15-ounce can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1½ teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon white pepper
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3 ounces each), cubed
Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in skillet until transparent.
- Add chicken, and sauté until lightly browned.
- Turn chicken mixture into large pot, and add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve topped with salsa and chopped cilantro, if desired.
Makes 8 servings. Per ~1.5 cup serving:
Fat: 7 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 37 mg
Carbohydrate: 69 g
Sugar: 3 g
Protein: 31 g
Fiber: 13 g
Sodium: 596 mg
Potassium: 1210 mg