Leftovers can get boring, but this recipe transforms leftover turkey or chicken into a whole new meal. You won’t get any complaints!
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
3 cups cooked wild rice
16 oz. mushrooms, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1.5 cups diced leftover turkey or chicken
½ cup unsalted turkey stock or chicken stock
½ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
½ cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
2 cups (divided) shredded low-fat cheese
Olive oil spray
2 tsp thyme
½ tsp poultry seasoning
Black pepper to taste
¼ tsp salt
- Cook wild rice according to package directions and let cool. Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Wash mushrooms. Spray a heavy non-stick pan with olive oil cooking spray. Add onions, mushrooms, zucchini and 2 Tbsp water, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add thyme, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add diced leftover turkey. Add rice, and gently stir until evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt and stock, then stir in coarsely grated parmesan cheese and 1 cup shredded low-fat cheese. Gently stir the yogurt mixture into the rice mixture.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon rice mixture into the casserole dish and press down to evenly distribute.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until casserole is slightly bubbling and barely starting to brown. Sprinkle with 1 cup of shredded low-fat cheese and bake about 15 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.
Total fat: 6g
Saturated fat: 3.5g
Trans fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrate: 25g
Recipe courtesy of Digestive Disease Health Team Dietitians