Try this flavorful butternut squash paleo breakfast hash with veggies and eggs over easy. This beautiful paleo breakfast hash offers an easy way to get a boatload of veggies into one meal. Swap out the sausage and processed meats and refined toast because these fiber-rich veggies are taking over!
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
2 cups butternut squash (about one small squash), diced
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cups spinach
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1 cup roma tomatoes, diced
Dash of sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Add the butternut squash to a medium size bowl and evenly coat with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour the squash onto a baking sheet and spread out evenly.
- Bake the butternut squash for 20-25 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and bell pepper to the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven and add it to the pan, in addition to the spinach, tomatoes & cilantro.
- Sauté the vegetables for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Use a spoon to create four small holes and add one egg to each hole.
- Cover the pan for about five minutes or until desired doneness. Optional Toppings: salsa, avocado slices, hot sauce, beaumonde, etc.
Makes 2 servings.
Each serving contains:
Sugar 9g (Added sugar 0g)
Recipe provided by registered dietitian nutritionist Brigid Titgemeier, MS, RDN, LD.
Photo © BeingBrigid Functional Nutrition