This light, one-dish meal is delicious dish to make on the grill. Use whole wheat pasta and fresh vegetables to make it high in fiber, and substitute a low-fat for a full-fat dressing to cut both fat and calories. Be creative, and use any vegetables in season that you have on hand.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (3 ounces each, about 12 ounces total)
½ zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
½ medium red bell pepper, quartered
½ medium eggplant, quartered
2 Portobello mushroom caps, halved
1 cup (one 8-ounce bottle) low-fat Italian dressing
6 ounces uncooked whole wheat linguine
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place chicken and vegetables in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag. Add ½ cup of the salad dressing. Turn to coat. Close bag; refrigerate at least one hour, turning chicken once.
- Heat grill, then spray grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Drain chicken and vegetables, reserving marinade. Place chicken on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from coals. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender and juices run clear, turning once and brushing frequently with reserved marinade.
- While chicken is cooking, place vegetables cut-side down next to the chicken on the grill. Cook 14 to 18 minutes or until tender, turning once and brushing frequently with reserved marinade. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package directions. Drain and toss with remaining ½ cup of salad dressing.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from grill. Thinly slice vegetables; toss with linguine mixture. Slice chicken breasts crosswise, and fan slices over pasta and vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: (One chicken breast plus 1 cup pasta and vegetables)
Fat: 12 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Protein: 37 g
Carbohydrates: 44 g
Dietary fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 5 g
Cholesterol: 77 mg
Sodium: 490 mg
Potassium: 822 mg
Recipe provided by Children’s Hospital Pediatric Nutrition Support Team.