Kids love toaster pastries — but you’re not wild about their nutritional profile. The compromise? Make your own! Our homemade version is a breakfast treat you can feel better about. Plus, they’re fun to make!
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup light butter with canola oil, melted
½ cup plain, nonfat yogurt
8 teaspoons organic all-fruit raspberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Put flour and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the melted butter and yogurt.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients. Use your hands to knead the dough until it’s smooth.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly-floured surface until it is ½ inch thick. Use a large cookie cutter or knife to cut dough into desired shapes.
- Place one cutout of dough on prepared cookie sheet. Spread one teaspoon of preserves on top (avoiding the edges), and then cover with the second cut out. Crimp edges firmly with a fork.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the pop tarts are lightly browned.
Makes 8 pop tarts (depending on size of cookie cutters)
Total fat: 6g
Saturated fat: 2g
Dietary fiber: 3g
Vitamin A: 8%