Who doesn’t love surf and turf? We’ve taken that concept to a whole new level. This recipe combines treasures from land and sea, and the result is a dish that’s as elegant as it is simple, and as flavorful as it is nourishing.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
Fresh scallops, with their velvety texture and umami flavor, form the base of this dish. The pea purée, with a sublime combination of peas, mint, shallots and lemon zest is the perfect partner, offering natural sweetness and tang on your tongue.
If you’re a fan of protein, B vitamins, and phytonutrients, you’ve hit the jackpot with this dish. But your taste buds will be the biggest winners. Quick to prepare, nutritious, and delicious, it’ll please a crowd or make a perfect dinner for two.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
10 ounces frozen peas
¼ plus ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
8 leaves fresh mint
½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces medium-large sea scallops
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes, until very tender.
- Add ⅓ cup water and ¼ teaspoon of the salt and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the peas, cover tightly, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until the peas are heated through.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor or blender. Add the mint, lemon zest and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Pat the scallops dry with a paper towel. Season them with the remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
- In a medium skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the scallops and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until the undersides are golden brown. Turn them and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, until opaque throughout. Serve with the pea puree.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Makes 4 servings
Total fat 8.3g
Saturated fat 1.1g
Dietary fiber 3.3g
Added sugar 0g