Recipe: Zucchini Raisin Muffins
Here’s a heart-healthy recipe destined to become a family favorite. It features shredded zucchini, oat bran and raisins, sweetened with maple syrup, and with a hint of orange for flavor.
Add some veggies to your morning just by eating these tasty zucchini raisin muffins. You’ll also get your morning going with a dose of healthy nutrition. You’ll feel perfectly satisfied pairing a muffin with a cup of coffee or tea (and this recipe is also vegan).
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
½ cup raisins
½ cup oat bran
½ cup boiling water
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup honey, agave or maple syrup
2 eggs or egg replacer (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water)
2 fresh medium zucchini, shredded (about 2 cups)
1 cup whole-wheat or barley flour
½ cup blue or yellow cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Add raisins, bran and boiling water into a small bowl.
3. Stir orange juice, sweetener, eggs and zucchini together in a large bowl. Add in raisin oat bran mixture, then stir.
4. Stir flour, blue cornmeal, baking powder and cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
5. Fold dry ingredients into the liquid mixture, and stir.
6. Pour batter into nonstick muffin tins.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 12 servings (1 muffin = 1 serving)
Calories from fat 15
Total fat 1.5g
Saturated fat 0g
Trans fat 0g
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrate 28 g
Dietary fiber 3g