Every year, the holiday season brings time together with loved ones, reflection and resolution. They also bring festive events and pressures to contribute delicious homemade dishes to the table. Skip the stress with these six starters that are easy and on the lighter side.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
- Guilt-Free Deviled Eggs: You won’t even miss the mayonnaise when you taste these deviled eggs seasoned with plenty of dill and paprika. Made in just 20 minutes, this appetizer is the perfect dish to whip up before that post-work party.
- Spinach-Filled Spanakopitas: Subbing reduced-fat feta cheese and butter-flavored cooking spray for full-fat cheese and butter makes the enjoyment of this traditional Greek appetizer easier on your heart.
- Crunchy Winter Slaw: Loaded with plenty of vitamins K, C, B and manganese, this simple slaw contains plenty of in-season ingredients for a fresh flavor!
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Lemon and Dill: Add some color to your plate with these simple roasted root veggies. Throw them in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, season with dill and lemon juice, and you have a delicious side to share.
- Baba Ghanoush: Served with 100% whole wheat pita slices, this easy appetizer adds some Mediterranean flair to your next dinner party.
- Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs: Opting for ground turkey breast instead of 80% lean ground beef is an easy way to cut down on calories, fat and saturated fat. In one hour you’ll have a dish that is sure to disappear!