This light, creamy chicken salad, placed inside half of an avocado, will wow your taste buds. It doesn’t call for mayonnaise and gets much of its flavor from healthy fats.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 tablespoon tahini (or nut-butter of choice)
1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
Juice from 1 lime, plus zest from half of lime
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled
2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
10 ounces mixed salad greens
Juice from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon glutenfree, reduced sodium soy sauce
Dash cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
2 tablespoons cilantro, plus more for garnish, chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- In a blender, blend all dressing ingredients until a liquid dressing is formed.
- Place shredded chicken in a bowl, add dressing and toss to coat.
- In a large salad bowl, place lettuce, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper to taste and mix so that lettuce is coated.
- Divide among 4 plates.
- Halve avocado and remove pits. Place about ½ cup of chicken salad in each avocado (carve a little avocado meat out if you need more room).
- Serve over salad greens. Spoon leftover chicken onto salad. Garnish with extra cilantro.
Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator, covered, for 3 days.
Each serving (2 cups dressed salad, ½ avocado stuffed with ½ cup chicken salad) contains:
Saturated fat 4g