This curry dish is not only full of flavor, but it is also uber-nutritious. It’s low in fat and sodium, cholesterol-free and a great source of lean protein, dietary fiber and potassium.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 medium eggplant
1 summer squash
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 tablespoon curry powder, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
One 3 x 1-inch piece orange zest, thinly sliced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne, optional
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinced and drained
2 tablespoons golden raisins
12 buckwheat crepes
- Place the yogurt in a sieve lined with a paper towel. Set aside to drain for 30 minutes.
- Cut the eggplant, zucchini and summer squash in half lengthwise. With the tip of a sharp knife, make slits in the flesh of the eggplant. Place the vegetables in a strainer and sprinkle with salt. After 30 minutes, wipe off all the salt and moisture. Cut the vegetables into similarly sized thin slices. Set aside.
- Place the oil in a large, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring for a minute to break up the rings. Add the garlic and ginger. Saute for another minute. Stir in the curry, turmeric, cinnamon, orange zest, cayenne and salt, if using.
- Cook, stirring for 30 seconds more. Add the eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, bell pepper, chickpeas, raisins and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes until all the vegetables are tender and cooked through.
- To serve, place two crepes on each of the six large plates. Spoon some of the vegetables onto the middle of each crepe. Fold the sides over the vegetables and turn the crepes seam side down. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt.
Makes 6 servings
Each serving of two crepes and curry contains:
Total fat 3.5g
Dietary fiber 8g
Per serving (curry only):
Total fat 2.5g
Dietary fiber 8g