Sometimes a simple meal cooked on the grill hits the spot. Make this your go-to meal for when it’s hot outside, you just got home from a full day and nothing sounds better than wholesome, fresh food. Start the marinade the night before or the morning of your meal, so the fresh ingredients have enough time to do their tasty work.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
For the Marinade
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic gloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 4-ounce to 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
For the Vegetables
1 red bell pepper
1 medium zucchini
1 red onion
2 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon plus one pinch sea salt
- First, prepare the marinade for the chicken by whisking together all the ingredients in a large bowl. Place the chicken breasts into a glass container, then pour the marinade over the top. Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for six to eight hours or overnight.
- When ready to make dinner, prep the vegetables for the grill. Remove the stem and seeds from the pepper and cut it into large strips. Cut the zucchini in half length wise. Cut the onion into 4 wedges, making sure that part of the root is attached to each wedge. This will keep the onion from falling apart. Place all of the vegetables in a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and toss to coat.
- Prepare a grill and once hot, place the chicken on one side of the grill, reserving the marinade. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes and then add the vegetables to the other side of the grill. Continue grilling the chicken for another 2 to 3 more minutes and then flip. Grill the other side for another 5 to 7 minutes. Then baste the chicken with the marinade, place the top on the grill, and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, flip the vegetables a few times to avoid burning. Once the veggies are soft and tender, remove from the grill and place on a cutting board. Allow to cool until you can handle them, then cut into bite-sized pieces. Place in a bowl and toss with the basil, lemon juice, and remaining salt (if needed).
- To serve, divide the vegetables between two plates, slice the chicken, and place on top of the veggies.
Nutritional analysis per serving
(1 breast with vegetables)
Saturated fat 4g